Why is early diagnosis of autism critical?

Early diagnosis can lead to earlier interventions, and research has demonstrated that intensive early intervention is associated with more positive outcomes.

William Stillman
Health Education Specialist

The timely diagnosis of any childhood developmental issue is critical in order to properly and correctly identify the concern(s) in order to prescribe services and supports to remedy or heal the issue (if possible); to enable the child to develop, learn, and grow as typically as he is able; and to empower families with knowledge about how to make adaptations and accommodations to best meet their child's physical, mental, emotional, social, and educational needs.

Where autism is concerned, accessing Early Intervention in a child's early developmental stages (birth to age of school beginner) may offer advantageous resources such as an array of therapies and community supports. 

Joane Goodroe
Nursing Specialist

study (July 2015) has confirmed previous work which demonstrates early intervention of autism lessens the symptoms. The study looked at children with autism from 18 to 30 months who received intensive home therapy.  The children were assessed at 6 y.o., which was two years after the therapy stopped.  Improvement was seen in intellectual ability, adaptive behavior, symptom severity, and challenging behavior.  This study confirms the importance of early intervention.   Publication in the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. The title of the study is: Long-Term Outcomes of Early Intervention in 6-Year-Old Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder. 

Dr. Ronald Leaf
Psychology Specialist

Watch me as I explain why an early diagnosis of autism can be critical.

Continue Learning about Autism

Autism: Reasons for Concern, Hope
Autism: Reasons for Concern, Hope
Autism spectrum disorders (ASD) affect 1 in 59 children, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). These...
How can I talk to my daughter about autism signs I see in my grandson?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Realizing that you need to talk to your daughter about your worries of autism in your grandson is th...
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Our tips can help you cope with your picky eater and avoid mealtime meltdowns.
Where Would You Like to See SNAP in Five Years?