What is Asperger's syndrome?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Asperger's syndrome, a mild autism spectrum disorder, causes developmental problems in affected children. It is grouped as an autistic spectrum disorder due to the child's difficulty in social interaction with others. Because of this grouping, the term Asperger syndrome, or Asperger's, is a term that is no longer used as a formal diagnosis.

Asperger’s syndrome is sometimes referred to as “mild autism,” meaning it’s on the higher-functioning end of the spectrum. Still, impairments and symptoms may range from mild to severe. Children with Asperger’s syndrome primarily have trouble with social and communication skills, but their intelligence levels are generally average to superior. As adults, many have satisfying careers and successful relationships; some have written books about their disorder. It’s often rumored that Albert Einstein had Asperger’s, and there are compelling arguments for this, but diagnosing long-gone figures is notoriously difficult.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Autism

What Is Autism?
What Is Autism?
Is Prenatal or Early Genetic Testing Available to Identify Autism in Kids?
What Kind of Training Does a Peer Mentor Receive?
What Are Some Common Myths About Autism?