How can I talk to my daughter about autism signs I see in my grandson?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Realizing that you need to talk to your daughter about your worries of autism in your grandson is the first step. Early detection and behavioral therapy is helpful in treating children with autism.

How to talk to your daughter is difficult. Some people ignore things they do not like while others think about it constantly. Only you know your daughter and how she will respond. Whether you need to build up to the word "autism" slowly over a few weeks and simply mention worrisome behaviors until then, or just come right out and say you are worried about autism depends on what you feel comfortable saying to your daughter. Maybe neither of these ways seem right to you. Whichever way you choose, make sure you talk to her.

Continue Learning about Autism

Autism May Begin Well Before Birth
Autism May Begin Well Before Birth
For years scientists have been trying to understand autism spectrum disorders and the causes behind it. Research published in The New England Journal ...
What are high activity brain patterns in children with ASD?
Amen Clinics, Inc.Amen Clinics, Inc.
Studies of children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) reveal that their brain patterns tend to hav...
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Our tips can help you cope with your picky eater and avoid mealtime meltdowns.
How Long Does the SNAP Program Last?
How Long Does the SNAP Program Last?