How can I talk to my daughter about autism signs I see in my grandson?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Realizing that you need to talk to your daughter about your worries of autism in your grandson is the first step. Early detection and behavioral therapy is helpful in treating children with autism.

How to talk to your daughter is difficult. Some people ignore things they do not like while others think about it constantly. Only you know your daughter and how she will respond. Whether you need to build up to the word "autism" slowly over a few weeks and simply mention worrisome behaviors until then, or just come right out and say you are worried about autism depends on what you feel comfortable saying to your daughter. Maybe neither of these ways seem right to you. Whichever way you choose, make sure you talk to her.

Continue Learning about Autism

What Kind of Training Does a Peer Mentor Receive?
What Medical Specialists Can Help Treat Autism?
Were You Surprise by the Amount of Bullying That Goes on?
Who Funds SNAP?
Who Funds SNAP?