Should I talk to my doctor about my child's Asperger's syndrome symptoms?

If your child displays symptoms such as poor development and communication skills that are interfering with your child's performance at school or at home, you will want to bring this to your doctor's attention. If your child does have Asperger's syndrome, it is important for them to get proper care. Your doctor will take a history of the child's background and have the child take standardized tests. The results from the tests as well as the child's background will help the doctor determine if your child suffers from Asperger's syndrome.

*Asperger syndrome, or Asperger's, is a term that is no longer used as a formal diagnosis. In current diagnostic criteria, the syndrome is included under the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders.

Continue Learning about Autism

Time to Change the Diagnosis of Autism?
Time to Change the Diagnosis of Autism?
In the heels of new government data last week, indicating 1 in 88 children have autism, there may be a potential change in how we diagnose autism lo...
How is autism spectrum disorder (ASD) diagnosed?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
Since the mid-1990s, autism has become more prevalent, its symptoms more widely recognized, and our ...
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Our tips can help you cope with your picky eater and avoid mealtime meltdowns.
Who Is the SNAP Program Geared Towards?
Who Is the SNAP Program Geared Towards?