Should I talk to my doctor about my child's Asperger's syndrome symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If your child displays symptoms such as poor development and communication skills that are interfering with your child's performance at school or at home, you will want to bring this to your doctor's attention. If your child does have Asperger's syndrome, it is important for them to get proper care. Your doctor will take a history of the child's background and have the child take standardized tests. The results from the tests as well as the child's background will help the doctor determine if your child suffers from Asperger's syndrome.

*Asperger syndrome, or Asperger's, is a term that is no longer used as a formal diagnosis. In current diagnostic criteria, the syndrome is included under the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders.

Continue Learning about Autism

Is Prenatal or Early Genetic Testing Available to Identify Autism in Kids?
Were You Surprise by the Amount of Bullying That Goes on?
Is SNAP an Anti-Bullying Campaign at Heart?
Why Do More Boys Than Girls Have Autism?