Should I talk to my doctor about my child's Asperger's syndrome symptoms?

If your child displays symptoms such as poor development and communication skills that are interfering with your child's performance at school or at home, you will want to bring this to your doctor's attention. If your child does have Asperger's syndrome, it is important for them to get proper care. Your doctor will take a history of the child's background and have the child take standardized tests. The results from the tests as well as the child's background will help the doctor determine if your child suffers from Asperger's syndrome.

*Asperger syndrome, or Asperger's, is a term that is no longer used as a formal diagnosis. In current diagnostic criteria, the syndrome is included under the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders.

Continue Learning about Autism

Sesame Street Introduces Viewers to Julia’s Family for Autism Awareness Month
In 2017, the children’s TV program Sesame Street introduced a new Muppet for the first time in ten years. Julia, the gang’s shy friend, loves flowers...
What are high activity brain patterns in children with ASD?
Amen Clinics, Inc.Amen Clinics, Inc.
Studies of children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) reveal that their brain patterns tend to hav...
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Our tips can help you cope with your picky eater and avoid mealtime meltdowns.
Where Can Families Go to Get Financial Help for Autism Treatment?