What should I expect when I see a doctor about autism spectrum disorders?

Sarine Salama
Sarine Salama on behalf of MDLIVE
The specialist you will see will also want to know extensive background history about your child, including when he/she reached their developmental milestones, when did you notice that your child was delayed or "out of sorts", what things does your child do to communicate to you, socialize with family and others. It is important for parents to keep detailed notes about their child's behaviors and when they seem to be doing them and if they seem to grow out of these behaviors or if they becomes part of their day to day life.

If you see a doctor about your child's autism spectrum disorder symptoms, he or she will want to know about your child's behavior, including any changes you have observed in your child's behavior. It is a good idea to write these down before the appointment, as well as a list of medications, vitamins, and other supplements your child takes. If you have video recordings of your child exhibiting any repetitive behaviors, the doctor may want to see it. The doctor will likely want to observe your child in a play area, or interacting with other people in a social situation.

Continue Learning about Autism

Easing ASD Symptoms: A Gut Instinct
Easing ASD Symptoms: A Gut Instinct
In the 1984 film Ghostbusters, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray and Dan Akyroyd were perfectly cast as the A-team of nerdy paranormal investigators. But Akyr...
As an adult, how do I find out if I have Asperger's syndrome?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
Typically, if you suspect you have Asperger's Syndrome and want a definitive diagnosis, you must see...
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Our tips can help you cope with your picky eater and avoid mealtime meltdowns.
Can the Brain "Recover" from Autism?
Can the Brain "Recover" from Autism?