What should I expect when I see a doctor about autism spectrum disorders?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you see a doctor about your child's autism spectrum disorder symptoms, he or she will want to know about your child's behavior, including any changes you have observed in your child's behavior. It is a good idea to write these down before the appointment, as well as a list of medications, vitamins, and other supplements your child takes. If you have video recordings of your child exhibiting any repetitive behaviors, the doctor may want to see it. The doctor will likely want to observe your child in a play area, or interacting with other people in a social situation.

Sarine Salama
Sarine Salama on behalf of MDLIVE
The specialist you will see will also want to know extensive background history about your child, including when he/she reached their developmental milestones, when did you notice that your child was delayed or "out of sorts", what things does your child do to communicate to you, socialize with family and others. It is important for parents to keep detailed notes about their child's behaviors and when they seem to be doing them and if they seem to grow out of these behaviors or if they becomes part of their day to day life.

Continue Learning about Autism

How common is Asperger's syndrome?
Asperger's syndrome is a condition that was first described in the 1940s. Now that healthcare provid...
How can a case manager help my autistic child?
The Dan Marino FoundationThe Dan Marino Foundation
Sometimes evaluations and recommendations may be different or conflicting. This can be confusing and...
What are signs of autism in children?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
Autism looks different in different children. It looks different in children of varying ages, and ch...
Why Do Some People with Autism Have Both Developmental Disorders and Remarkable Abilities?