How common is autism spectrum disorder (ASD)?

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the incidence of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is one in 68. The prevalence is five times higher in boys than in girls and can occur in any ethnic or racial population.

Autism spectrum disorders are diagnosed in approximately 1 in 150 people. In addition, the numbers of diagnosed cases is on the rise. This might be because the disorders are becoming more common, because diagnostic criteria have changed over time, because reporting methods have changed, or a combination of factors.

Continue Learning about Autism

6 Autism Myths Busted
6 Autism Myths Busted
Autism is one of the most talked about and controversial health topics today, with everyone from actress Jenny McCarthy to medi...
Who should I see to have my child evaluated for autism?
Dr. Michelle Gorenstein-Holtzman, MDDr. Michelle Gorenstein-Holtzman, MD
A developmental pediatrician, neurologist, child psychiatrist, or psychologist can evaluate your chi...
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Our tips can help you cope with your picky eater and avoid mealtime meltdowns.
What About SNAP has Surprised You?
What About SNAP has Surprised You?