What is the prognosis for children with Asperger syndrome (AS)?

With effective treatment, children with Asperger syndrome (AS) can learn to cope with their disabilities, but they may still find social situations and personal relationships challenging. Many adults with AS are able to work successfully in mainstream jobs, although they may continue to need encouragement and moral support to maintain an independent life.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

*Asperger syndrome, or Asperger's, is a term that is no longer used as a formal diagnosis. In current diagnostic criteria, the syndrome is included under the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders.

Continue Learning about Autism

Easing ASD Symptoms: A Gut Instinct
Easing ASD Symptoms: A Gut Instinct
In the 1984 film Ghostbusters, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray and Dan Akyroyd were perfectly cast as the A-team of nerdy paranormal investigators. But Akyr...
How can I help my child with autism do well at school?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If your child is being treated for autistic spectrum disorder (ASD), you can help him in his school ...
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Our tips can help you cope with your picky eater and avoid mealtime meltdowns.
Who Is the SNAP Program Geared Towards?
Who Is the SNAP Program Geared Towards?