What do I need to know about caring for my child with Asperger's syndrome?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Parents with children suffering from Asperger's syndrome and other autism spectrum disorders may have a hard time understanding their affected child's needs. Parents should learn the situations or things that may upset their child and help their child cope with these events. Getting to know your child's likes and dislikes can help a parent to connect with their child. Taking the child's interest as your own and building upon such activities or skills can help the child take this passion into adulthood and the workplace. You can also help your child by teaching them about communication and proper behavior at home.

*Asperger syndrome, or Asperger's, is a term that is no longer used as a formal diagnosis. In current diagnostic criteria, the syndrome is included under the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders.

Continue Learning about Autism

How is autism different from mental retardation?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
My son, Jeremy, who is severely autistic, explains it best. He is clear about what he feels and ...
What are the symptoms of Asperger's syndrome?
Asperger syndrome, or Asperger's, is a term that is no longer used as a formal diagnosis. In current...
Are there alternative treatment options for Asperger's syndrome?
Alternative treatment options have been suggested to help Asperger's syndrome, but there is currentl...
What Role Do Genetics Play in Autism?
What Role Do Genetics Play in Autism?