What do I need to know about caring for my child with Asperger's syndrome?

Parents with children suffering from Asperger's syndrome and other autism spectrum disorders may have a hard time understanding their affected child's needs. Parents should learn the situations or things that may upset their child and help their child cope with these events. Getting to know your child's likes and dislikes can help a parent to connect with their child. Taking the child's interest as your own and building upon such activities or skills can help the child take this passion into adulthood and the workplace. You can also help your child by teaching them about communication and proper behavior at home.

*Asperger syndrome, or Asperger's, is a term that is no longer used as a formal diagnosis. In current diagnostic criteria, the syndrome is included under the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders.

Continue Learning about Autism

Time to Change the Diagnosis of Autism?
Time to Change the Diagnosis of Autism?
In the heels of new government data last week, indicating 1 in 88 children have autism, there may be a potential change in how we diagnose autism lo...
How can I talk to my daughter about autism signs I see in my grandson?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Realizing that you need to talk to your daughter about your worries of autism in your grandson is th...
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Our tips can help you cope with your picky eater and avoid mealtime meltdowns.
How Long Does the SNAP Program Last?
How Long Does the SNAP Program Last?