Can children affected with Asperger's syndrome improve their social skills?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Aiding a child affected with Asperger's syndrome and other autism spectrum disorders in finding things that they are interested in is beneficial to their ability to socialize. It can help the child take this interest and connect with others that have the same interest. Also, deliberate social skills training can help a child learn to socialize in settings where they may once may have felt awkward doing so.

*Asperger syndrome, or Asperger's, is a term that is no longer used as a formal diagnosis. In current diagnostic criteria, the syndrome is included under the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders.

Continue Learning about Autism

Sesame Street Introduces Viewers to Julia’s Family for Autism Awareness Month
In 2017, the children’s TV program Sesame Street introduced a new Muppet for the first time in ten years. Julia, the gang’s shy friend, loves flowers...
What should I do if I think my child has autism spectrum disorder (ASD)?
If you suspect your child may have autism spectrum disorder (ASD), discuss this your doctor so that ...
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Autism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky EaterAutism and Food Aversion: How to Help Your Picky Eater
Our tips can help you cope with your picky eater and avoid mealtime meltdowns.
What Are the Rates of Autism Today?
What Are the Rates of Autism Today?