What should I do if I think my child may have autism?

If you think that your child may have autism you may first want to speak to your child’s pediatrician. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that all children be screened for autism at their 18- and 24-month well-baby check-ups. If you or your doctor has concerns, your child’s doctor should refer you to either Early Intervention or a specialist (Developmental Pediatrician, Neurologist, Psychiatrist, Psychologist) for a more thorough evaluation. In addition to the autism-specific evaluation, hearing and lead screenings should also be conducted.

Chantal Sicile-Kira
Mental Retardation & Developmental Disabilities Specialist
Getting a diagnosis of autism as early as possible is important because research shows that early intervention is the best intervention. There is no medical test that can be given to tell if a person has autism or not, and not all children with autism develop in the same way. Find a pediatrician who is knowledgeable about autism and discuss your concerns with him or her.

Continue Learning about Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) Symptoms

What are the signs of autism spectrum disorders in children?
Early signs of autism spectrum disorder include: no babbling or pointing by age 1 no response ...
Why is toilet training difficult in children with autism?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
Toilet training can be a complex issue for those children who may have acute sensory sensitiviti...
What are the common signs of autism?
Dr. Sara WiemerDr. Sara Wiemer
Some signs of autism include: trouble understanding other people's feelings or talking about his...
What are the warning signs for autism in young children?
Each child on the autism spectrum is unique, so every child cannot be expected to be exactly lik...