How can I keep my child with autism safe from strangers?

Chantal Sicile-Kira
Mental Retardation & Developmental Disabilities Specialist

It is crucial to teach the same safety rules you would to any child, such as, “Don’t open the door for anyone when you are home alone.” What will differ from child to child is how, and for how long, a lesson such as this needs to be taught. Social stories that explain why we don’t open the door to strangers (and what constitutes a stranger) can be helpful. Practicing skills by having known and unknown people come to the door reinforce the lesson and are essential to learning.

Continue Learning about Living With Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)

How do I find an autism professional in my area?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
To find a professional familiar with autism diagnosis in your geographical area, contact other l...
Why is it important that my child with autism likes his job?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
For most people with autism, a job will be their one connection to the community and their main ...
Can People with Autism Improve Their Social Skills?
How Can I Help My Child with Autism to Become Self Sufficient?