What causes autism spectrum disorder (ASD)?

Doctors don't know what causes autism spectrum disorder (ASD), but they are working hard to find out. What they do know is that ASD often runs in families, so a person is more likely to have ASD if a close family member also has it.

About one in 166 children are affected by autism, and it occurs in boys 3 to 4 more times often than girls. However, this complex developmental disorder affects people to varying degrees. The cause is unknown, but genetic and environmental factors play a role. It is the result of abnormal development of certain parts of the brain.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Living With Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)

How Can I Help My Child with Autism to Become Self Sufficient?
How Can I Help My Child with Autism Have Better Relationships?
Can People with Autism Improve Their Social Skills?