What are the symptoms of atypical neuralgia?

The main symptom of atypical neuralgia is a continuous pain in a side of the face, although some people experience pain on both sides. It is most frequently described as a burning or aching sensation and the pain is spread out over the side of the face (as opposed to the typical type of neuralgia, in which the pain is pointed and localized). The symptoms usually start to be frequent after the age of 50, but can occur at any age. Simple actions such as brushing your teeth can trigger more intense pain.

Continue Learning about Atypical Neuralgia

Is atypical neuralgia linked to TMJ?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
Atypical neuralgia is a disorder of the trigeminal nerve in the head area. TMJ is a disorder of the ...
Are prescription medications available for atypical neuralgia?
Medications used to treat epilepsy are often used to treat atypical neuralgia. These are anticonvuls...
What are the treatment options for atypical neuralgia?
Treatment for atypical neuralgia focuses on pain management and is usually done with medications or ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my atypical neuralgia symptoms?
Atypical neuralgia can be treated by medications or surgery. Seeing your doctor will allow you to fi...