What causes atypical neuralgia?

Atypical neuralgia is probably caused by blood vessels compressing the trigeminal nerve, which is a nerve in your head that connects to the brainstem. The blood vessels can pulse and put pressure on the nerve; when this happens repeatedly, pain can ensue. Atypical neuralgia may be due to compression on a specific part of the nerve, distinguishing it from the typical type. Other researchers believe that atypical neuralgia is an advanced stage of the typical type.

Continue Learning about Atypical Neuralgia

Should I talk to my doctor about my atypical neuralgia symptoms?
Atypical neuralgia can be treated by medications or surgery. Seeing your doctor will allow you to fi...
How do I manage my atypical neuralgia on a daily basis?
The pain of atypical neuralgia is often constant, so daily management is key. Make sure you're in re...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with atypical neuralgia?
To help a loved one with atypical neuralgia, ensure that the person you are caring for is taking his...
How is atypical neuralgia diagnosed?
Your doctor will likely suspect atypical or typical neuralgia by your symptoms. A constant burning o...