What are the treatment options for atypical neuralgia?

Treatment for atypical neuralgia focuses on pain management and is usually done with medications or surgery. Anticonvulsant drugs are often the first line of treatment. A muscle relaxant may be used, possibly with anticonvulsant drugs. If medications show only limited success, a surgical method called microvascular decompression may be tried, in which a surgeon accesses the trigeminal nerve and physically separates it and the problematic blood vessel, relieving the pressure. This surgery has found to be generally less effective for atypical neuralgia than for the typical type.

Continue Learning about Atypical Neuralgia

How does atypical neuralgia affect my quality of life?
Your quality of life can be greatly reduced by untreated atypical neuralgia. Trigeminal neuralgia, w...
What increases my risk for atypical neuralgia?
Atypical neuralgia is a type of trigeminal neuralgia, which is pain that results from pressure on th...
Is atypical neuralgia serious?
Trigeminal neuralgia, which includes atypical neuralgia, is said to be one of the most painful disor...
How do I manage my atypical neuralgia on a daily basis?
The pain of atypical neuralgia is often constant, so daily management is key. Make sure you're in re...