Why is atrial fibrillation (AFib) a burden to the healthcare system?

Not only is atrial fibrillation (AFib) of serious concern for affected people, but it is also a burden to the healthcare system, needing long-term treatment and management to address its rapidly increasing prevalence. AFib care costs nearly $15,000 annually in incremental direct and indirect costs per person. To reduce healthcare costs and hospitalization rates and improve quality of life, innovative treatments such as the hybrid maze procedure aim to manage AFib without relying on repeat treatments such as radiofrequency ablation therapy, cardioversions (ongoing electrical manipulation of heart rate) or continued adjustment of medications.

Continue Learning about Atrial Fibrillation

A Legacy Without AFIB
A Legacy Without AFIB
Idris Elba may be the busiest man in show biz, with seven movies in post-production or filming. And while he’s always intense, his portrayal of a soli...
Can an echocardiogram help diagnose atrial fibrillation?
Not usually, but it can help show the cause or what complications are likely. Remember when you were...
What can I ask my parent's doctor about atrial fibrillation?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
If your parent has been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, you will want to learn all you can about...
Not All Atrial Fibrillation Is the Same
Not All Atrial Fibrillation Is the Same