What is occasional atrial fibrillation?

Occasional atrial fibrillation is a kind of arrhythmia, or irregular heartbeat, which occurs every now and then and lasts from a few minutes to a few hours. It happens when chaotic electrical signals to the atria, or two upper chambers of the heart, cause it to contract, or tighten, quickly. This makes the heart beat faster, slower, or unevenly. Occasional atrial fibrillation can lead to complications such as stroke, shortness of breath, fatigue, and weakness. Occasional atrial fibrillation is also referred to as paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.

Joan Haizlip, MSN

Occasional atrial fibrillation is also called paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.  That just means that it happens every so often but not all the time.  But the dangers are still the same so it still needs to be treated.  Atrial fibrillation is what we call an 'irregularly irregular' heartbeat.  So there is not a pattern to it.  Your heart can pump very fast and erratically and then go back to normal.   Your healthcare provider will still want to treat you and find out why you have occasional atrial fibrillation

.

Continue Learning about Atrial Fibrillation

A Legacy Without AFIB
A Legacy Without AFIB
Idris Elba may be the busiest man in show biz, with seven movies in post-production or filming. And while he’s always intense, his portrayal of a soli...
What should I do if my AFib returns after a cardioversion?
St. Mark's HospitalSt. Mark's Hospital
If your AFib returns after a cardioversion, you may need additional medication or an ablation.
What can I ask my parent's doctor about atrial fibrillation?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
If your parent has been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, you will want to learn all you can about...
At Risk for Irregular Heartbeat? Skip the Cocktail