How do persistent atrial fib and permanent atrial fib differ?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Persistent atrial fibrillation usually requires treatment for the abnormal heart rhythm to resolve. Normal treatment cannot restore the abnormal rhythm with permanent atrial fibrillation. If persistent atrial fibrillation continues or increases in frequency, it can become permanent over time.

Continue Learning about Atrial Fibrillation

What You Need to Know About Atrial Fibrillation
In a healthy heart, an electrical signal at the top of the heart prompts it to contract, squeezing blood from the two upper chambers (the atria) into ...
What causes atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
Atrial fibrillation is caused when the upper chambers of the heart, the atria, receive disorganized ...
Can I take cold medicine if I have atrial fibrillation?
Dr. Ronald M. Firth, MDDr. Ronald M. Firth, MD
Decongestants that are found in over-the-counter (OTC) cold medications have several potential side ...
What Is the Treatment for Atrial Fibrillation?