What do I tell my doctor about my symptoms of atrial fibrillation?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
If you have symptoms of atrial fibrillation, it's important to know what to tell your doctor at the next visit. Here are some topics to consider:

• Explain the symptoms you feel with atrial fibrillation such as palpitations, chest pain, jaw pain, difficulty breathing, dizziness and fatigue.
  • Let your doctor know when you have these symptoms such as all day long, only after exercise, after ingesting coffee or alcohol or when you are under emotional stress.
  • Tell your doctor how the symptoms affect your ability to be active.
  • Let your doctor know if you've had these symptoms before.
  • Tell your doctor if you have a history of hypertension and if your high blood pressure is controlled with medication.
  • Let your doctor know if you have a family history of atrial fibrillation.
  • Talk openly with your doctor about emotional stress and how you deal with the stress in your life.
  • Let your doctor know if you use illegal drugs as these can trigger atrial fibrillation.

Continue Learning about Atrial Fibrillation Symptoms

Could I have atrial fibrillation without having symptoms?
YES! You would think it would be hard to miss if your heart suddenly started beating like it was doi...
What are the symptoms of atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
Some people affected with chronic atrial fibrillation are symptom free. Others may have symptoms suc...
Know the Symptoms of Atrial Fibrillation
Not All Atrial Fibrillation Is the Same
Not All Atrial Fibrillation Is the Same