Should I talk to my doctor about my atrial fibrillation symptoms?

Yes, you should talk to your doctor about your atrial fibrillation symptoms. Untreated atrial fibrillation can have serious complications, such as stroke or heart failure. If your symptoms are severe, such as chest pain or trouble breathing, you should go to an emergency room rather than wait for an appointment.

Joan Haizlip, MSN

Yes, you should tell your doctor about your atrial fibrillation (A Fib) symptoms.  Your doctor will want to watch you closely to make sure your A Fib symptoms don't worsen.  Some symptoms are mild but some symptoms can signal a worsening condition.  If you experience severe symptoms, such as shortness of breath or chest pain, you need to be seen right away in the emergency room.

Matthew T. Levy, MD
Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
While there is no one defining symptom that indicates atrial fibrillation, there are indicators that you should share with your doctor. In this video, Matt Levy, MD, a cardiologist at Good Samaritan Hospital, explains which symptoms not to ignore. 

Continue Learning about Atrial Fibrillation Symptoms

Should I tell my doctor about my occasional atrial fibrillation symptoms?
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of occasional atrial fibrillation, it is important for y...
What are the symptoms of atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
You would think it would be hard to miss if your heart suddenly started beating like it was doing an...
Know the Symptoms of Atrial Fibrillation
Not All Atrial Fibrillation Is the Same
Not All Atrial Fibrillation Is the Same