Can I safely have x-rays if I'm a carrier of the ATM gene?

So far, no clear evidence has shown that ataxia telangiectasia carriers should avoid diagnostic x-rays, but the National Cancer Institute has funded studies to determine if there's a link between the ATM gene and radiation. Because radiation exposure and genetic disposition both increase the chance of chromosome damage and cancer, you'd be wise to limit your exposure. If you need a mammogram or another type of diagnostic x-ray, seek a facility that uses state-of-the art equipment to minimize your radiation exposure.

Carriers of ATM gene are at an increased risk of breast cancer.  The risk is further increased by exposure to ionizing radiation which is present naturally in the environment and from other sources such as xrays.  If you are a carrier of the ATM gene, you can safely have xrays and mammograms but should try to limit the exposure and undergo such scans when absolutely necessary.  

Continue Learning about Ataxia Telangiectasia

How do I know if I'm an ataxia telangiectasia carrier?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Genetic testing is used to identify carriers of the defective gene that causes ataxia telangiectasia...
What is Ataxia Telangiectasia?
Ataxia telangiectasia, also called Louis-Bar syndrome, is an inherited disease that makes the body s...
How many ataxia telangiectasia carriers are there in the United States?
An estimated one percent of the U.S. population, or about 2.5 million people, may be carriers of ata...
Is ataxia telangiectasia serious?
Ataxia telangiectasia (AT) is very serious because it has no cure and the symptoms continue to worse...