What's the rate of incidence for ataxia telangiectasia?

Ataxia telangiectasia (AT) is a rare disease. Worldwide, the incidence ranges from one person in every 40,000 to one in 100,000. Two factors may play a role in these uncertain statistics. First, the disease rate may be higher in countries where childbearing between relatives is more customary, because relatives are more likely to share common genes. Second, ataxia - loss of muscle coordination - generally causes the earliest symptoms, so someone with AT may be incorrectly diagnosed with cerebral palsy rather than AT.

The incidence of ataxia telangiectasia is thought to be 1 in every 80,000 - 100,000 live births. 

Continue Learning about Ataxia Telangiectasia

Are ataxia telangiectasia carriers sensitive to radiation?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
This is a question that needs further research. When cultured in the laboratory, blood and skin cell...
Can I safely have x-rays if I'm a carrier of the ATM gene?
So far, no clear evidence has shown that ataxia telangiectasia carriers should avoid diagnostic x-ra...
What is Ataxia Telangiectasia?
Ataxia telangiectasia, also called Louis-Bar syndrome, is an inherited disease that makes the body s...
How many ataxia telangiectasia carriers are there in the United States?
An estimated one percent of the U.S. population, or about 2.5 million people, may be carriers of ata...