Is ataxia telangiectasia serious?

Ataxia telangiectasia (AT) is very serious because it has no cure and the symptoms continue to worsen throughout life. Besides decreasing quality of life, it poses risks for many serious health problems. Someone with AT is more prone to infections and more likely to develop cancer. Even getting an x-ray is risky because AT causes an extreme sensitivity to radiation. Although life expectancy varies among people with AT, many of them die young.

Continue Learning about Ataxia Telangiectasia

Are ataxia telangiectasia carriers sensitive to radiation?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
This is a question that needs further research. When cultured in the laboratory, blood and skin cell...
What's the rate of incidence for ataxia telangiectasia?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
The incidence of ataxia telangiectasia is thought to be 1 in every 80,000 - 100,000 live births. 
How do I know if I'm an ataxia telangiectasia carrier?
In the past, carriers were identified mainly because they were parents of a child with ataxia te...
What is Ataxia Telangiectasia?
Ataxia telangiectasia, also called Louis-Bar syndrome, is an inherited disease that makes the body s...