What increases the risk of ataxia telangiectasia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Getting the ATM gene from both parents is the only way to get ataxia telangiectasia. Each child conceived by two carriers of the gene has a one-in-four risk of being affected, regardless of other factors such as race or sex. In anyone who doesn't have a family history of ataxia telangiectasia, the chance of being a carrier ranges from 1/158 to 1/100. Approximately 1 percent of people in the United States are carriers of the ATM gene.

Continue Learning about Ataxia Telangiectasia

How do I know if I'm an ataxia telangiectasia carrier?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Genetic testing is used to identify carriers of the defective gene that causes ataxia telangiectasia...
Can I safely have x-rays if I'm a carrier of the ATM gene?
So far, no clear evidence has shown that ataxia telangiectasia carriers should avoid diagnostic x-ra...
What is Ataxia Telangiectasia?
Ataxia telangiectasia, also called Louis-Bar syndrome, is an inherited disease that makes the body s...
Is ataxia telangiectasia serious?
Ataxia telangiectasia (AT) is very serious because it has no cure and the symptoms continue to worse...