How many ataxia telangiectasia carriers are there in the United States?

An estimated one percent of the U.S. population, or about 2.5 million people, may be carriers of ataxia telangiectasia (A-T). A-T has no racial, economic, geographic or education barriers. Both males and females are equally affected. It is believed that many children with A-T, particularly those who die at a young age, are never properly diagnosed. Therefore, this disease may actually be much more common than projected.

This answer is based on source information from National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Ataxia Telangiectasia

Is ataxia telangiectasia serious?
Ataxia telangiectasia (AT) is very serious because it has no cure and the symptoms continue to worse...
What's the rate of incidence for ataxia telangiectasia?
Ataxia telangiectasia (AT) is a rare disease. Worldwide, the incidence ranges from one person in eve...
Can I safely have x-rays if I'm a carrier of the ATM gene?
So far, no clear evidence has shown that ataxia telangiectasia carriers should avoid diagnostic x-ra...
Are ataxia telangiectasia carriers sensitive to radiation?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
This is a question that needs further research. When cultured in the laboratory, blood and skin cell...