How many ataxia telangiectasia carriers are there in the United States?

An estimated one percent of the U.S. population, or about 2.5 million people, may be carriers of ataxia telangiectasia (A-T). A-T has no racial, economic, geographic or education barriers. Both males and females are equally affected. It is believed that many children with A-T, particularly those who die at a young age, are never properly diagnosed. Therefore, this disease may actually be much more common than projected.

This answer is based on source information from National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Ataxia Telangiectasia

What is Ataxia Telangiectasia?
Ataxia telangiectasia, also called Louis-Bar syndrome, is an inherited disease that makes the body s...
How do I know if I'm an ataxia telangiectasia carrier?
In the past, carriers were identified mainly because they were parents of a child with ataxia te...
What's the rate of incidence for ataxia telangiectasia?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
The incidence of ataxia telangiectasia is thought to be 1 in every 80,000 - 100,000 live births. 
Is ataxia telangiectasia serious?
Ataxia telangiectasia (AT) is very serious because it has no cure and the symptoms continue to worse...