Are ataxia telangiectasia carriers sensitive to radiation?

This is a question that needs further research. When cultured in the laboratory, blood and skin cells of known ATM gene carriers are less sensitive to X-rays than cells from ataxia telangiectasia (A-T) patients, and more sensitive than cells from the general public. There are not yet data from clinical studies to definitively answer the question about sensitivity of carriers. The NCI is currently funding a large, multi-institutional study to better understand the interaction between radiation exposure and the ATM gene.

This answer is based on the source infromation from the the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Ataxia Telangiectasia

Can I safely have x-rays if I'm a carrier of the ATM gene?
So far, no clear evidence has shown that ataxia telangiectasia carriers should avoid diagnostic x-ra...
What's the rate of incidence for ataxia telangiectasia?
Ataxia telangiectasia (AT) is a rare disease. Worldwide, the incidence ranges from one person in eve...
Is ataxia telangiectasia serious?
Ataxia telangiectasia (AT) is very serious because it has no cure and the symptoms continue to worse...
How do I know if I'm an ataxia telangiectasia carrier?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Genetic testing is used to identify carriers of the defective gene that causes ataxia telangiectasia...