When should I see a specialist about my asthma?

You should see a specialist about your asthma, known as a pulmonologist, in any of the following situations:
  • Extra diagnostic testing is needed.
  • You require several controller medications.
  • You are not meeting goals of therapy in an allotted amount of time.
  • You have had several exacerbations in a certain time period.

If your primary doctor has not been able to adequately control your asthma, you might want to consider seeing a specialist -- such as an allergist or immunologist. An allergist or immunologist specializes in treating not only allergies but also asthma and any other condition that is related to the immune system. These specialists have completed an additional 2 years of training in allergies and immunology and may be able to provide more specific advice on avoiding your allergens and treating your symptoms.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Asthma Treatment

Treatment for Moderate and Severe Asthma
Treatment for Moderate and Severe Asthma
Watch Keren Bakal, MD, explain the different types of inhalers and medications used to treat moderate and severe asthma. Plus, other tips to manage sy...
Read More
What are the disadvantages of using bronchodilators?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
The primary "rescue" medication, the bronchodilator albuterol, does open up constricted airways in e...
More Answers
Are there alternative treatment options for asthma?
Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDDr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Medicinal plants Herbalists and naturopaths use a number of botanicals to relieve symptoms of asthma...
More Answers
How Is Asthma Treated?
How Is Asthma Treated?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.