When should I see a specialist about my asthma?

You should see a specialist about your asthma, known as a pulmonologist, in any of the following situations:
  • Extra diagnostic testing is needed.
  • You require several controller medications.
  • You are not meeting goals of therapy in an allotted amount of time.
  • You have had several exacerbations in a certain time period.

If your primary doctor has not been able to adequately control your asthma, you might want to consider seeing a specialist -- such as an allergist or immunologist. An allergist or immunologist specializes in treating not only allergies but also asthma and any other condition that is related to the immune system. These specialists have completed an additional 2 years of training in allergies and immunology and may be able to provide more specific advice on avoiding your allergens and treating your symptoms.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Asthma Treatment

Why It’s Crucial to Follow Your Asthma Treatment Plan
Asthma is a chronic condition that affects your lungs. When certain triggers cause symptoms to increase or worsen—often referred to as an asthma attac...
How do I take an accurate peak flow measurement for asthma?
To take an accurate peak flow measurement for asthma, do the following: Move the marker to the b...
What lifestyle changes can help control my asthma?
Managing your asthma isn't just about following your treatment plan from your doctor. It takes a...
How Can I Ensure I Am Getting the Optimal Treatment for My Asthma?