What is the blow-by technique with a nebulizer?

Do not use! A nebulizer uses forced air to turn asthma medication into a fine mist so that it can easily be breathed into the lungs. "Blow-by" refers to the practice of directing the mist stream of the nebulizer toward the mouth and nose of the person receiving the treatment. As the name suggests, most of the medication blows right by and never reaches the patient. Even if the outlet of the nebulizer is placed 1/2 inch from the mouth and nose, most of the medication is lost to the surrounding air.

Continue Learning about Asthma Treatment

A Guide to Asthma Controller Medications
Managing asthma requires a number of strategies, including controlling your exposure to triggers, monitoring your symptoms with a diary (and possibly ...
What side effects do IL-5 antagonists have?
Side effects of mepolizumab may include skin reactions where the drug was injected, fatigue, headach...
How can I tell if my asthma treatment is working?
Jennifer N. Caudle, DOJennifer N. Caudle, DO
You will know if your asthma treatment is working based on how often you have symptoms, how severe s...
Are There Breathing Exercises That Can Help With My Asthma Symptoms?