What is the procedure for using a nebulizer?

If a nebulizer is recommended for you or your child, your doctor or asthma educator will provide specific instructions for using it. Here are some general instructions:

1. Fill the medication cup with the prescribed amount of medication(s).

2. Connect the tubing.

3. Sit upright to make deeper breaths possible.

4. Holding the medication cup upright, insert the mouthpiece or put the mask up to the face.

5. Turn the machine on.

6. If possible, breathe deeply and slowly through your mouth.

7. Tap the medication cup if the contents begin to sputter before the medication is gone.

Continue Learning about Asthma Treatment

Why It’s Crucial to Follow Your Asthma Treatment Plan
Asthma is a chronic condition that affects your lungs. When certain triggers cause symptoms to increase or worsen—often referred to as an asthma attac...
Why do some athletes with asthma skip treatment?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
An asthmatic athlete will ignore his treatment because he thinks it doesn't look tough enough to hav...
Will eating more fish relieve my asthma symptoms?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Some of the most important mediators of allergic activity, notably prostaglandins and leukotrienes, ...
How Can I Ensure I Am Getting the Optimal Treatment for My Asthma?