How do I take an accurate peak flow measurement for asthma?

To take an accurate peak flow measurement for asthma, do the following:
  • Move the marker to the bottom of the numbered scale.
  • Stand up straight, remove any food or gum from your mouth, and take a deep breath.
  • Hold your breath and put the mouthpiece in your mouth and close your lips tightly around it. Don't block the mouthpiece with your tongue.
  • In one breath, blow out as hard and fast as you can.
  • Write down the number you get. If you cough or otherwise make a mistake, start over; don't use that number as peak flow.
  • Repeat the process two more times, then note the highest number out of three. (Do not calculate the average.)
  • Measure your peak flow rate close to the same time(s) each day. You and your doctor can determine the best time(s) for you.

Continue Learning about Asthma Treatment

Treat Your Asthma and Breathe Easier
Treat Your Asthma and Breathe Easier
Asthma is a chronic lung condition in which the airways are overly sensitive to certain triggers, leading to inflammation and narrowing of your air pa...
What are inhaled steroids for treating asthma?
Inhaled steroids for asthma are medications that are breathed in by using an inhaler device to deliv...
How effective is theophylline at treating asthma?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Theophylline is an alternative treatment for asthma. When taken alone, it improves lung function, bu...
How Do I Know My Asthma Is Under Control?