When should I call the doctor about my asthma?

Scheduled appointments help your doctor monitor your overall treatment. But sometimes new or worsening symptoms require quicker care, especially if they indicate that your asthma is poorly controlled.

Here are the signs of poor asthma control that require an appointment right away:

• Your asthma symptoms flare up more than two days a week.
  • You reach for your quick-relief medication more than two days a week.
  • You wake up more than one to two times a month because of symptoms.
  • You cut back on activities, like walking, climbing stairs or working, because of your asthma.
  • Your peak flow drops below 80% of your "personal best."

Symptoms like these mean your asthma is acting up, but seeing your doctor can help you get back on track.

If you have been diagnosed with asthma and are using an inhaler or oral medications, you should visit your doctor if there are changes to your symptoms. If your breathing has worsened, you may require a new medication to help improve your symptoms. If your breathing has improved, you may be able to take less medication. If your asthma is not being controlled with your current medication and you are unable to breath adequately, contact your doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about Asthma

How Can I Tell If My Asthma Treatment is Working?
You will know if your asthma treatment is working based on how often you have symptoms, how severe symptoms are, and how much it impacts your life. Wa...
What is asthma syndrome?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
Allergic asthma is just one of the contributors to a set of symptoms. These symptoms are now cal...
How is asthma different from breathing problems due to a cold or allergies?
David S. Kamrava, MDDavid S. Kamrava, MD
Asthma is more of a genetic disease affecting the lungs, whereas colds and allergies will just affec...
Eat Better to Breathe Better
Eat Better to Breathe Better