At what age does asthma start?

Asthma can start at any age; in fact, asthma can even be noted in infants. The majority of patients with asthma will develop symptoms before the age of 5. It is difficult to diagnose asthma in young children, however, especially if they are too young to follow the instructions needed for certain diagnostic tests. Sometimes the symptoms of asthma in young children will be described by other names, such as reactive airway disease, because it is difficult to predict the chance that the symptoms will develop into chronic asthma.

Continue Learning about Asthma

5 Possible Triggers of Nocturnal Asthma
5 Possible Triggers of Nocturnal Asthma
If you battle your worst asthma symptoms at night, you could have nocturnal asthma, also called nighttime asthma. As the name implies, this is when as...
4 Surprising Asthma Symptoms
4 Surprising Asthma Symptoms
Asthma is a disease that affects both children and adults, but many people are unaware of its common symptoms. Robin Miller, MD, talks in this video a...
What Are My Asthma Treatment Options?
What Are My Asthma Treatment Options?
What Are the Major Diseases that Concern You?