What is a nebulizer?

A nebulizer uses forced air to turn asthma medication into a fine mist so that it can easily be breathed into the lungs. For some people -- and with some medications -- nebulizers are the most effective way of delivering inhaled medications.

A nebulizer consists of the following components:

• a compressed air machine

• a medication cup to contain the medication

• thin plastic tubing that connects the medication cup to the compressed air machine

• a facemask or mouthpiece used to breathe in the mist

Using a nebulizer with either a facemask or a mouthpiece and following directions will help ensure that you or your child receive as much of the medication as possible.

Continue Learning about Asthma Medication

Why You Need to Beware Using Steroids for Asthma—Even Short-Term
Miguel Indurain, five-time winner of the Tour de France, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, an Olympic track star and Jerome Bettis, a running back for the Pittsbu...
How are asthma attacks managed?
Asthma attacks that do not require hospitalization are generally managed with albuterol, a medicatio...
What are some questions I should ask my doctor about my asthma medications?
If you have asthma (or someone you love does) and have gotten casual about taking your meds, time to...
How Do Medications Help Control Asthma?
How Do Medications Help Control Asthma?