What are bronchodilators?

Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
Allergy & Immunology
Medicines called bronchodilators help to relax the muscle spasm and allow passage of more air through the airways. They are usually inhaled, but can also be given as a pill or liquid. In severe episodes, an injection of epinephrine may be given if inhalation is not sufficient. These medicines are called rescue medicines since they act to open up the airways almost immediately. Epinephrine is also used in the event of anaphylaxis.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Asthma Medication

Why You Need to Beware Using Steroids for Asthma—Even Short-Term
Miguel Indurain, five-time winner of the Tour de France, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, an Olympic track star and Jerome Bettis, a running back for the Pittsbu...
Why do I need so many medications to treat my allergies and asthma?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergies and asthma are more complicated than other conditions that require daily medication becaus...
How do I use a metered-dose inhaler (MDI)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
This is how to use a metered dose inhaler (MDI): Remove the cap from the inhaler, and from the space...
How Do Medications Help Control Asthma?
How Do Medications Help Control Asthma?