Why should I use a holding chamber with my inhaler?

The holding chamber or "spacer" is used when people have difficulty coordinating the release of medication and inhaling the medication. Using a spacer ensures that the medication is delivered into a spacer and can be breathed in over a longer period of time.

A holding chamber, sometimes called a spacer, can be used with inhalers to increase the amount of medication that is inhaled into the airways.  This device is a long tube that allows the person with asthma to slowly breathe in the medication.  This makes it easier for more of the medication to get to the lungs and less medication to be left in the mouth and throat.   

Continue Learning about Asthma Inhalers

How does a dry powder inhaler (DPI) deliver asthma medication?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A dry powder inhaler (DPI) is a hand-held device that delivers a dry powder form of the medicati...
What is an emergency inhaler?
MediGuardMediGuard
An emergency or rescue inhaler is typically a short acting bronchodilator medication such as albuter...
What is Breo Ellipta?
Breo Ellipta is an inhaled medication used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
How Do I Know My Asthma Is Under Control?