Why should I use a holding chamber with my inhaler?

The holding chamber or "spacer" is used when people have difficulty coordinating the release of medication and inhaling the medication. Using a spacer ensures that the medication is delivered into a spacer and can be breathed in over a longer period of time.

A holding chamber, sometimes called a spacer, can be used with inhalers to increase the amount of medication that is inhaled into the airways.  This device is a long tube that allows the person with asthma to slowly breathe in the medication.  This makes it easier for more of the medication to get to the lungs and less medication to be left in the mouth and throat.   

Continue Learning about Asthma Inhalers

What is Breo Ellipta?
Breo Ellipta is an inhaled medication used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
How should I clean an inhaler spacer?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Clean your press-and-breathe inhaler and spacer at least once a week to help keep medication from ...
How can I help my child manage his asthma at school?
You can help your child manage his asthma at school by making sure there is an asthma action plan de...
How Do I Know My Asthma Is Under Control?