Will taking aspirin and other NSAIDS help prevent colon cancer?

Randall Holcombe, MD
Hematology & Oncology

There is evidence that aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), such as naproxen (Aleve) and ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) may decrease the risk of developing colon and rectal cancers. However, because aspirin can have side effects like bleeding from the bowels, you should consult your doctor before thinking of using aspirin or another NSAID for colon and rectal cancer prevention. 

Continue Learning about Aspirin

Why Staying on Daily Low Dose Aspirin Is Important
In one episode of Rugrats, Angelica tries to kick her cookie addiction. But when she finds a stash of them, the gang chases her (and the cookie jar) i...
Will aspirin affect my blood glucose levels if I have diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Aspirin itself will not affect your blood glucose levels if you have diabetes. However, aspirin ...
Can taking aspirin every day help prevent cancer?
Aspirin can prevent some of the most common kinds of cancer: colon and rectal cancer (the cancer...
Are You a Candidate for Daily Low-Dose Baby Aspirin?