How should I store aspirin?

Usually, you will want to keep aspirin in a dry place, away from heat. Find a spot to store this drug at room temperature. The humidity in your bathroom is often high and does not make it an ideal place to store any medication. For aditional details, read the aspirin package label.

Although most people’s medicine cabinets are in the bathroom, the hot, steamy air that pours out of the shower or bath when you start toweling off is as good for your aspirin as it would be for a polar bear. The best place to store it is in a room temperature, dry place that’s out of reach of the little ones. Anything small and round looks like candy to little kids, and some adults, too! Make sure it’s tightly sealed, too.

If it starts smelling like vinegar, even if it’s before the expiration date, don’t use it. Throw it out.

Taking aspirin suppositories? Store those in a cool, not room-temperature place. If you need to, stick ’em in your refrigerator. They should also be kept away from the kids, so make sure your fridge has a hard-to-reach shelf or hard-to-open drawer.

Continue Learning about Aspirin

Why Staying on Daily Low Dose Aspirin Is Important
In one episode of Rugrats, Angelica tries to kick her cookie addiction. But when she finds a stash of them, the gang chases her (and the cookie jar) i...
How can I protect my stomach from the side effects of aspirin?
Aspirin can exacerbate ulcers or other abdominal pain. It's even possible for aspirin to cause u...
How can taking aspirin daily reduce my risk for a second ischemic stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
If you've had an ischemic stroke, taking a daily low-dose aspirin can lower your risk of a second on...
Dr. Oz Explains What Aspirin Does to Your Blood