Can aspirin prevent a heart attack?

Low-dose aspirin -- up to 325 mg per day -- helps prevent heart attacks when taken daily upon the recommendation of a healthcare professional. Today, the American Heart Association and the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommend that people at high risk for heart attack or stroke discuss taking a daily, low-dose aspirin with their healthcare professionals.

For women who should be on aspirin therapy, it doesn't take much to get the benefits. Studies find that between 75 and 100 mg, known as "low-dose aspirin therapy," are enough to reduce the risk for heart attack or angina. Most aspirin brands come in low-dose formulations of 81 mg. The upper dosage for aspirin in women at a high risk for heart disease is 325 mg.

Aspirin's cardioprotective benefits stem from its unique ability to interfere with the blood cells that are responsible for forming sticky clots. Aspirin also soothes inflammation in the arteries, which can help protect blockages from developing.

Continue Learning about Aspirin

The Truth About Taking A Daily Low-Dose Aspirin
Newspaper articles about who should and shouldn’t take a daily aspirin have caused confusion because many headlines made it sound like, “you should st...
Should I take aspirin therapy after pancreatic cancer surgery?
NorthShore University HealthSystemNorthShore University HealthSystem
There have been studies that show that aspirin is an effective chemopreventive agent that perhap...
Will aspirin help me if I am having unstable angina?
Because unstable angina can be related to the rate of blood flow to the heart, and because the sympt...
Are You Allergic to Aspirin?
Are You Allergic to Aspirin?