Can I give my child aspirin for the pain of a sunburn?

You should not give your child aspirin to treat the pain of a sunburn. Doctors do not recommend this treatment option because of the risk of Reye's syndrome. Reye's syndrome has shown up in children who have taken aspirin when battling an infection. It is a disease that can affect the brain (causing swelling, seizures, and coma), the liver (deterioration), and blood-clotting issues. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are better choices for pain relief. Ask your doctor about correct dosage for your child, though.

Continue Learning about Aspirin

The Truth About Taking A Daily Low-Dose Aspirin
Newspaper articles about who should and shouldn’t take a daily aspirin have caused confusion because many headlines made it sound like, “you should st...
Can I give my child aspirin for the pain of strep throat?
You should not give your child aspirin to treat the pain of strep throat. Doctors do not recommend t...
Should I take an aspirin if I am having heart attack symptoms?
Holly S. Andersen, MDHolly S. Andersen, MD
If you believe you are having a heart attack, the first thing you should do is call 911, followed by...
Dr. Oz Explains What Aspirin Does to Your Blood