Can chewing an aspirin help during a heart attack?

• A study published by the American Heart Association in 1997 estimated that if everyone who was experiencing a heart attack chewed an aspirin as soon as they began experiencing chest pain, thousands more would survive heart attacks.

The study found an increased survival rate of 23 percent, but the heart attack patients had to chew an aspirin within one hour of developing the first symptoms.

• A Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered on behalf of
    What Are the Benefits of Chewing Aspirin if I Think I'm Having a Heart Attack?
    The benefit of chewing aspirin is that it can help dissolve the clot causing your heart attack, says Thomas Lambert, MD, a cardiologist at MountainView Hospital. In this video, he says to call 911 the moment you think you're having a heart attack.
Will aspirin help me if I am having angina?