Should I talk to my doctor about my child's Asperger's syndrome symptoms?

If your child displays symptoms such as poor development and communication skills that are interfering with your child's performance at school or at home, you will want to bring this to your doctor's attention. If your child does have Asperger's syndrome, it is important for them to get proper care. Your doctor will take a history of the child's background and have the child take standardized tests. The results from the tests as well as the child's background will help the doctor determine if your child suffers from Asperger's syndrome.

Continue Learning about Asperger's Syndrome

Asperger's Syndrome

Asperger’s syndrome is a type of mild autism, is more common in boys. A child with Asperger’s syndrome has great difficulty with social skills, and friendships are difficult. There are problems with motor skills, so kids don't lea...

rn to throw a ball. But the child has an obsessive interest in a specific subject, and will talk non-stop about that subject yet may have poor communication skills otherwise. Focus on your child's strengths and make sure the school has the capability to help develop lagging social and communication skills. Medication can also help.