What is asbestos?

Asbestos is the name given to a group of minerals that occur naturally in the environment as bundles of fibers that can be separated into thin, durable threads. These fibers are resistant to heat, fire, and chemicals and do not conduct electricity. For these reasons, asbestos has been used widely in many industries.

Chemically, asbestos minerals are silicate compounds, meaning they contain atoms of silicon and oxygen in their molecular structure.

Asbestos minerals are divided into two major groups: Serpentine asbestos and amphibole asbestos. Serpentine asbestos includes the mineral chrysotile, which has long, curly fibers that can be woven. Chrysotile asbestos is the form that has been used most widely in commercial applications. Amphibole asbestos includes the minerals actinolite, tremolite, anthophyllite, crocidolite, and amosite. Amphibole asbestos has straight, needle-like fibers that are more brittle than those of serpentine asbestos and are more limited in their ability to be fabricated.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Asbestosis & Dust Diseases

Should I talk to my doctor about my progressive shortness of breath?
If you experience any unexplained shortness of breath that you feel is getting worse, talk to your d...
What are dust disease and asbestosis?
Asbestosis and dust disease are lung disorders caused by the frequent inhalation of dangerous outsid...
How can dust disease and asbestosis be prevented?
The best way to prevent damage from dust diseases such as asbestosis and silicosis is to avoid expos...
How are dust disease and asbestosis treated?
The tissue damage from dust diseases such as asbestosis and silicosis cannot be reversed, but there ...