What are dust disease and asbestosis?

Asbestosis and dust disease are lung disorders caused by the frequent inhalation of dangerous outside factors. Asbestosis is caused by an accumulation of asbestos fibers in the lungs. Before the government's regulation of asbestos in the 1970's, it was valued in the construction industry for its resistance to fire. Dust disease includes both asbestosis and the more common silicosis, which is caused by a buildup of silica or silicate particles in the lungs. Particles of silica dust can be created by any destruction of rock particles such as sand blasting or mining. Both diseases can cause scarring of the lungs and even lung cancer.

Continue Learning about Asbestosis & Dust Diseases

What do I need to know when caring for someone with a dust disease?
There is no way to undo the damage to lung tissue caused by dust diseases such as asbestosis and sil...
How do dust disease and asbestosis affect the body?
Dust disease and asbestosis can deteriorate lung functioning and put excess strain on the heart. Nor...
How do dust disease and asbestosis affect my quality of life?
The degree to which dust diseases can affect the quality of your life varies. Some people who are di...
What are symptoms of dust disease and asbestosis?
Symptoms of dust diseases such as asbestosis and silicosis usually develop over a long period of tim...