How do medications treat dust disease and asbestosis?

Although there is no way to reverse lung scarring caused by dust diseases like asbestosis and silicosis, medication can help reduce symptoms and prevent further health complications. If someone with a dust disease develops pulmonary hypertension (high blood pressure in the lungs), they can be given medication to help open up small blood vessels that were closed by scar tissue, which eases pressure on the heart and helps prevent it from exerting itself too much. Similarly, blood-thinning medication such as warfarin can be taken to discourage the blood from clotting in the lungs. If someone experiences extreme breathing difficulties, they can be given inhaled bronchodilators to relax constricted airways, or even corticosteroids to reduce inflammation of the airways. Both of these medications allow more air to be taken into the lungs to help compensate for the poor alveoli function.

Continue Learning about Asbestosis & Dust Diseases

Should I talk to my doctor about my progressive shortness of breath?
If you experience any unexplained shortness of breath that you feel is getting worse, talk to your d...
How are asbestos-related diseases detected?
A thorough physical examination, including a chest x-ray and lung function tests, may be recommended...
How do dust disease and asbestosis affect the body?
Dust disease and asbestosis can deteriorate lung functioning and put excess strain on the heart. Nor...
What causes dust disease and asbestosis?
Dust diseases such as asbestosis and silicosis permanently scar the lungs and  are caused by frequen...