What do I need to know when caring for someone with a dust disease?

There is no way to undo the damage to lung tissue caused by dust diseases such as asbestosis and silicosis. However, if someone you know has been diagnosed with a dust disease, you can be an important part of the support system that helps them manage symptoms and prevent further damage. It is important for someone diagnosed with a dust disease to be removed from further exposure to sources of asbestos or silica dust. If they smoke, you can help them prevent lung cancer and further lung tissue damage by encouraging them to quit. In order to help them check for cancer and other complications of their dust disease, you can make sure they get a chest X-ray regularly. Also, people with dust diseases are more prone to infections of pneumonia or other lung diseases, so it is helpful to make sure someone maintains a healthy lifestyle by eating a nutritious diet and drinking plenty of fluid.

Continue Learning about Asbestosis & Dust Diseases

What are alternative treatments for dust disease and asbestosis?
Since there is no way to reverse scarring of the lung tissue, treatment for dust diseases such as as...
How do I manage my dust disease on a daily basis?
If you have been diagnosed with a dust disease such as asbestosis or silicosis, it is best to preven...
How do dust disease and asbestosis affect the body?
Dust disease and asbestosis can deteriorate lung functioning and put excess strain on the heart. Nor...
How do dust disease and asbestosis affect my quality of life?
The degree to which dust diseases can affect the quality of your life varies. Some people who are di...