What do I need to know when caring for someone with a dust disease?

There is no way to undo the damage to lung tissue caused by dust diseases such as asbestosis and silicosis. However, if someone you know has been diagnosed with a dust disease, you can be an important part of the support system that helps them manage symptoms and prevent further damage. It is important for someone diagnosed with a dust disease to be removed from further exposure to sources of asbestos or silica dust. If they smoke, you can help them prevent lung cancer and further lung tissue damage by encouraging them to quit. In order to help them check for cancer and other complications of their dust disease, you can make sure they get a chest X-ray regularly. Also, people with dust diseases are more prone to infections of pneumonia or other lung diseases, so it is helpful to make sure someone maintains a healthy lifestyle by eating a nutritious diet and drinking plenty of fluid.

Continue Learning about Asbestosis & Dust Diseases

What is asbestosis?
Asbestosis is a breathing disorder that is caused by inhaling microscopic particles of asbestos, an...
What are alternative treatments for dust disease and asbestosis?
Since there is no way to reverse scarring of the lung tissue, treatment for dust diseases such as as...
How can I protect my children from dust disease and asbestosis?
Since the mid 1970's, there have been strict regulations protecting workers and the general public f...
What causes dust disease and asbestosis?
Dust diseases such as asbestosis and silicosis permanently scar the lungs and  are caused by frequen...