What is asbestosis?

Asbestosis is a breathing disorder that is caused by inhaling microscopic particles of asbestos, an insulating material. This disease can cause the lung tissue to become scarred and inflamed. This disease develops over many years, so you may not experience symptoms right away.

Continue Learning about Asbestosis & Dust Diseases

Should I talk to my doctor about my progressive shortness of breath?
If you experience any unexplained shortness of breath that you feel is getting worse, talk to your d...
How do dust disease and asbestosis affect my quality of life?
The degree to which dust diseases can affect the quality of your life varies. Some people who are di...
How are dust disease and asbestosis treated?
The tissue damage from dust diseases such as asbestosis and silicosis cannot be reversed, but there ...
How is my finger deformity related to dust disease and asbestosis?
Finger deformity, or clubbing, can be a symptom of the dust disease asbestosis, in which lung scarri...