How can I limit my consumption of artificial sweeteners?

The following are ways to limit consumption of artificial sweeteners:
  • Consume no more than two servings (two packets or one diet soda) of artificial sweeteners per day.
  • Try combining a half a teaspoon of your preferred artificial sweetener with a teaspoon of raw sugar. Then eventually wean yourself off the artificial sweetener.
  • Choose natural alternatives such as honey or agave. Or try coconut sap syrup, which has a low-glycemic index and just 10 calories per teaspoon. It also contains B vitamins, potassium and amino acids. Because these are all quite sweet tasting, you'll find you don't need to use much of them.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.
Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
No matter how much you love artificial sweeteners, it is possible to break the addiction. In this video, I will give easy steps to reduce them in your diet.
Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD
To limit the consumption of artificial sweeteners, know the names of these products and read labels, then start to reduce the amount you consume over time. Watch as functional medicine expert Elizabeth Boham, MD, explains how you can cut down.

Continue Learning about Artificial Sweeteners

Is Agave Syrup Smarter Than Sugar?
Is Agave Syrup Smarter Than Sugar?
Bethenny Frankel adds agave syrup to tequila and sells it in her premixed Skinnygirl Margaritas. Celeb chef Travis London bakes it into "guilt-free" v...
How safe is saccharin as a sugar substitute?
Jorge CruiseJorge Cruise
Saccharin is the oldest sugar substitute around; you probably know it as Sweet ’N Low. It was discov...
How can I substitute an artificial sweetener for sugar when cooking?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Some brands offer pre-made blends of sugar and artificial sweeteners. These blends are meant to be u...
What Artificial Sweetener Is Best to Use When Cooking and Baking?