When can I return to physical activities after shoulder arthroscopy?

How soon you can return to various activities after shoulder arthroscopy depends on how much you'll need to use your operated arm. If you go back too soon, you risk injuring it again.

You can return to light activities, such as school or work that's not physical, fairly soon. Many people can go back after about a week.

Heavier physical activities, such as sports or more physical work, will take longer. Even if your arm feels fine, it may not be safe yet. For many people, it can take 2 to 6 months after surgery. Be sure to check with your doctor before returning.

Continue Learning about Arthroscopy

What is chondroplasty?
Chondroplasty involves the removal of damaged cartilage from the joint using an arthroscopic procedu...
What is knee arthroscopy?
Knee arthroscopy involves a tiny lighted camera on a tube inserted directly into the knee joint thro...
What is the recovery time for hip arthroscopy surgery?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
After arthroscopic hip surgery, expect to be on crutches for the first month, and a recovery time of...
What activities can I do after arthroscopic knee surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are some guidelines for activity after arthroscopic knee surgery: Take it easy the first day...