What is tidal lavage?

Tidal lavage is an arthroscopic procedure in which a sterile salt solution is injected into and removed from the joint several times. The patient receives local anesthesia. Tidal lavage often relieves pain and improves joint function for several weeks or months. It is thought that these effects are due to the removal of debris and inflammatory messenger substances in the joint fluid. Another reason for the beneficial effect may be that adhesions in the joint are broken.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Arthroscopy

What is hip arthroscopy?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Hip arthroscopy is surgery of the hip using tiny 1cm portals, a 70 degree camera and small instrumen...
When should I call my doctor after shoulder arthroscopy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After shoulder arthroscopy, some pain, tenderness, and stiffness are normal. If you have the fol...
What questions should I ask my doctor after arthroscopic knee surgery?
After your arthroscopic knee surgery, your doctor will schedule an appointment to check your progres...
What exercises should I do after arthroscopic shoulder surgery?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The first types of exercises that you will perform in the beginning of your rehabilitation progr...