What happens during a shoulder arthroscopy?

Shoulder arthroscopy usually lasts about 1 hour. The following things will happen:

Evaluation. The surgeon will make a small (about 1/2-inch) incision in your shoulder and insert the arthroscope. The arthroscope will project enlarged images of your shoulder joint onto a screen. The area may also be inflated with harmless fluid so the parts of your shoulder will be easier to see and work on.

Procedures. To make repairs on your shoulder, the surgeon will make 2 or 3 more small incisions. Repairs may include:
  • Rotator cuff repair, in which tears in the tendons are repaired and extra bone growth is shaved down.
  • Surgery for shoulder instability, in which the rim of the shoulder joint and the tissues that attach to it are repaired.
  • Surgery for shoulder impingement, in which damaged or inflamed tissue is cleaned out. Areas of bone growth may be shaved down.
Closing the incision. Your incisions will be closed with sutures (stitches) or staples and covered with a dressing (bandage). Your surgeon will remove the sutures or staples when your incisions have healed.

Continue Learning about Arthroscopy

What is knee arthroscopy?
Knee arthroscopy involves a tiny lighted camera on a tube inserted directly into the knee joint thro...
When should I call my doctor after arthroscopic knee surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Watch for problems after your arthroscopic knee surgery, and call your doctor if you experience any ...
What should I expect after shoulder arthroscopy?
Most people go home the day of shoulder arthroscopy. You will be able to go home as soon as your...
What exercises should I do after arthroscopic shoulder surgery?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The first types of exercises that you will perform in the beginning of your rehabilitation progr...